Keeping Construction Sites Dry: A Brief Guide to Water Pumps from Coastal Hire
Water pumps from Coastal Hire might just be the hidden heroes of construction sites, constantly getting on with the job of keeping the ground dry and the project on track.
Water is crucial for the construction process when mixing concrete or keeping the site dust-free. However, it can also be the project’s worst enemy. From delaying work schedules to compromising structural integrity, excess water can quickly turn a manageable project into a costly nightmare.
Water Pumps for Every Purpose from Coastal Hire
- Centrifugal Pumps: These workhorses are the go-to for clear or slightly murky water. They efficiently move large volumes of water fast, thanks to a rotating impeller that creates a centrifugal force.
- Sludge Pumps: These pumps are essential when dealing with muddy, debris-laden water. Their heavy-duty impellers can process solids of varying sizes, ensuring smooth operation even in harsh conditions
- Trash Pumps: Designed for the toughest tasks, trash pumps can handle solids like stones, twigs and even small construction debris. Their robust design makes them ideal for drainage pits, flooded basements and other messy situations.
Essential Accessories for Water Pumps
Water pumps are unusable without the right accessories; but thankfully, at Coastal Hire, we also provide a variety of options to optimise your water removal installation. These may include:
- Flat Hoses: These flexible, lightweight hoses are perfect for temporary installations. Additionally, they are easy to manoeuvre and store, making them ideal for setting up quickly and moving pumps from one site area to another.
- Universal Suction Hoses: These robust, heavy-duty hoses are built for durability and can withstand abrasive materials. They are typically used for permanent installations or situations where pumps are constantly in use.
Understanding the Hazards of Excess Water On-Site
Underestimating the dangers of water on a construction site can have serious consequences. Here, we consider some key hazards to be aware of:
- On-Duty Injuries: Wet or water-logged areas increase the risks of slips and falls, potentially leading to worker injuries, expensive medical bills, and project delays.
- Structural Damage: Excess water can weaken foundations, damage building materials and lead to costly repairs.
- Electrical Safety: Electrical equipment and water are a dangerous combination. Proper precautions and water pumps with adequate water resistance are crucial to avoid electrical hazards.
- Mould and Mildew: Dampness and stagnant water create the perfect environment for mould and mildew growth, specifically on long-term builds, posing health risks and affecting indoor air quality.
Get It Right the First Time
When partnering with us here at Coastal Hire to utilise the right water pumps and accessories, you can effectively manage water on your construction site, mitigate risks and ensure a successful, on-schedule project. A construction site with positive water management controls is a safe and productive place to work.
With more than 110 branches throughout southern Africa and decades of experience, we are proudly the country’s No.1 small equipment hire brand. Together with our knowledgeable, friendly team, we will assist in keeping your site free of unwanted water with the widest selection of submersible and surface-operated water pumps. So, forget about expensive purchases that may not accommodate every project. Contact us today and enjoy our bursting portfolio of construction equipment for hire and comprehensive client support for the ultimate peace of mind.